VISSLA + SURFRIDER CREATORS & INNOVATORS 2022 UPCYCLE CONTEST
Vissla has partnered up with our friends at the Surfrider Foundation to challenge you, the wave conscious, to take something that might be considered waste and create something that can be used in the ocean.
How it works
You must upcycle an old or found object into a functional wave riding craft (i.e. surfboards, handplanes, paipos, fins, alaias, skim boards, boats, etc.) Be creative!
All contestants must enter a video or 3-6 photographs showing their project from start to finish via Instagram with the hashtag #CreatorsContest and clearly state your country of residence by September 6th, 2023
Judging / Finalists
Judging will be based on innovation, functionality, creativity, design, and aesthetics.
Finalists will be selected and may be asked to send in their projects for verification and final voting. Finalists’ projects will be displayed in a digital gallery awards ceremony during which winners will be announced and awarded exclusive prizes.
We're opening up the voting process to the public. Individuals will have the opportunity to view each project, learn about the process and materials used to create it and cast their votes for our winner. The public’s vote will make up 1 of 3 total votes to decide the winners––additional judges will include Surfrider CEO, Chad Nelsen and Vissla CEO, Paul Naude. Voting will be open to the public from 10/6-10/9.
Digital Awards Ceremony
Make Your Own Handplane!
Official Rules & Regulations
- How to Enter: Beginning at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time ("PST") on June 15th, 2022 until 11:59 p.m. PST on September 30, 2022, you may enter the Vissla / Surfrider Foundation Creators & Innovators Upcycle Contest by posting a video or 3-6 photographs showing your project from start to finish via Instagram, **tagging #CreatorsContest and captioning your country of residence**. Any entry that is incomplete or late will be disqualified. Vissla and Surfrider Foundation ("Sponsors") and all other Promotion Entities (as defined below), their affiliates, distributors, dealers, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, and any and all Internet servers and access provider(s) (collectively know as Vissla and Surfrider Foundation) are not responsible for: any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human error; technical malfunctions; failures, omission, interruption, deletion, or defect of any telephone network, computer online systems, computer equipment, server providers, or software, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Promotion; inability to access the Vissla and Surfrider Foundation Website or Instagram; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; transactions that are processed late or incorrectly or are incomplete or lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website.
- Eligibility: This Promotion is open to people who are **13 years of age or older**. Employees and their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings, children and each of their respective spouses) of Vissla, Surfrider Foundation, and their advertising and promotion agencies (collectively known as the "Promotion Entities") are not eligible to enter or win. All participants and/or entrants release the Sponsor, the Promotion Entities, and their agents, advertising and promotion agencies, affiliated companies, Promotion partners and prize suppliers, and all of their respective affiliated companies, employees, officers, directors and shareholders, from and against all claims and damages arising in connection with each entrant's participation and/or entry in the Promotion and/or their receipt or use of any prize awarded in this Promotion. Any and all warranties and guarantees are subject to the respective manufacturer's terms and conditions. This Promotion is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all federal, state and local laws. Void where prohibited by law.
- Prizes: Selected finalists may be asked to send in further photo and video content of their projects for verification and final voting. The general public will be invited to a virtual gallery show/awards ceremony event at which the selected finalist projects' will be featured on October 12 , 2022. The specifics of all aforementioned elements of any prizes in the Promotion shall be solely determined by the Sponsors. Some restrictions may apply. Prizes are not transferable to another person or another season, and no substitutions or cash equivalents are permitted. All prizes are “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, express or implied. No substitution, exchange or transfer of prizes is permitted. The sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize, or portions thereof, with a prize of equal or lesser value. All prizes will be awarded.
- Drawing and Notification: Finalists will be selected (i) on or about October 10, 2022. The finalists will be notified by Vissla via a direct message on Instagram. The prizes will be fulfilled by Vissla; however, if Vissla is unable to contact a potential grand prize winner within 5 days of notification, or if a grand prize winner fails to comply with any of the requirements, or if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, an alternate grand prize winner shall be selected. The grand prize winner consents to the use of their name, photographs, likenesses, biography, voice and/or video for advertising and promotional purposes, including online announcements, without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. The odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. If, in the judges' opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Promotion, or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the Promotion, the judges reserve the right to terminate the Promotion and conduct a random drawing to award the prizes using all online entries received as of the termination date. Should the Promotion be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Vissla Website.
- Release of Liability: By entering this Promotion, all entrants, any winners, and their family members, guests, invitees, agents, and employees release and hold harmless the Sponsors and each of the Promotion Entities, as well as the respective officers, directors, agents, employees and shareholders of the foregoing entities and all others associated with the development and execution of this Promotion from and against any and all actions, claims, and/or liability with respect to or in any way arising from participation in this Promotion and/or acceptance or use of the prizes and any related activities, including liability for personal injury, death, damages, or loss. The Sponsor, its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporation, each of the Promotion Entities, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, dealers, distributors, employees and agents of the Promotion Entities, and are not responsible for: any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, human error, technical malfunctions, theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries.
- Winner's List: On or about October 12, 2022 you may obtain the name of the prize winners, by mailing a SASE to: Vissla Upcycle Contest, 18B Journey, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656.
- Sponsors: Vissla 18B Journey, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | Surfrider Foundation 942 Calle Negocio, Suite 350, San Clemente, CA 92673